Monday, September 16, 2013

Zanzibar wedding

The evening was very interesting.  I did not know this evening event was only for women or that we would all sit on the floor the entire time. Unfortunately, my skirt was mostly calf length so I used the scarf to cover my legs while sitting rather than cover my head.

As we walked into the hall, we removed shoes, received a splash of something on our hands and a bag of food, including baked goods, a bottle of water, and a can of pop.

The women were dressed to the nines! Lots of sequins and jewels on dresses and head scarfs. Lots of makeup, bright eye shadows,  liner, etc. I have never in my life been as glamorous as any one of them. They really know how to get beautiful.  Sitting on the floor for 2 hours is hard for me- was wishing my skirt was long!

There was almost 2 hours of music - 8 men dancing, 4 men singing Arabic type songs, and many of the ladies swayed to the music, standing near the men. All guests knew the words to the songs.  Music was upbeat and good.

Then the "bridesmaids" walked thru us to pass out grilled chicken on a stick (1 each) and then a plastic cup of ice cream. Finally the music stopped and all eyes went to the entryway.  The attendants came first, then the bride. Wow! Amazing dress, hair, and makeup.  She went to the stage to pose for pictures and about half the guests left immediately- strange to me.

About 10 minutes later, the groom entered and joined her. More posing for pics. Then it was over and we left.  I never quite knew what would happen next, when it would end, etc. I wondered which person was the bride until the end when she walked in and the guests left.  It was a nice surprise to see the groom enter!

No comments:

Post a Comment