Friday, March 27, 2015

A ferry, a car, some geothermals, and a flight

Heading north, back to Auckland.   We took the ferry from south Island to north Island.   It is huge, carrying semi trucks,  train cars, autos, and people.   Sunny day and a beautiful 3 hour crossing.   Now we drive the length of the north Island to return to Auckland and then fly to Sydney.  
I wanted to see Hobbiton, the spectacular preserved movie set, but Patricio is not interested. (I guess I have to return some day).   He wants to see geothermal stuff near Taupo.   This time he wins and I'm sure it will be interesting- like Yellowstone.  
The drive north was long but we saw some great sights in those 3 days.
The fabulous views never ended until we left the coast
Nice harbor town on the west coast
Boiling mud...ok, I admit the geothermal stuff was only mildly interesting to me.
raging river thatruns thru a cateract with so much water you can barely hear!  Near Taupo. Cool! 
Hobbiton.  Next time i will plan it. You must take a tour and they only happen twice a day.  Looks very beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment